Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Huh?

If my children were blessed with any super-powers, their power would be the power of randomness.  Sometimes it can be mentally debilitating for Ashley and I.  "Dun da da daaaaa....Random Child."

I can see it.  Cooper standing in the middle of the living room wearing a red jumpsuit with cape and a mask.  On the center of the chest is a huge "RC" in a shield.  Proud of her random statement that puts me on my back due to the mental confusion, she stands over me laughing with her hands on her hips.  Yes, she uses her powers for evil.

It is actually comical at times.  Hannah and Cooper both have been blessed with the power of being random.  Example, you ask?  I think so.  The other day Cooper walks up to Ashley and I and says, "I'm like a teenager, only 5."  Dun da da daaaaaa.  She walked away laughing and I was left with a dumbfounded expression and a lot of confusion.  It can make your head hurt, can't it?

Initially I thought, how ridiculous.  But her statement actually made some sense.  Five year olds are overly dramatic and emotional, just like a teenager.  Five year olds are stubborn and have crafted the art of lying, just like a teenager.  How brilliant.  The fact it actually made sense only confused me more.  How did she know?


Anyway, both of my older children have the equal capacity to be completely random in their statements.  Cooper learned from Hannah, and Riley will learn from them both.  Ashley and I will be sitting around one day minding our own business, when all of the sudden, Riley will be sent into the living room by her diabolical sisters with this statement..."I love cheese, and roast beef makes me happy."  She will turn and walk away with a smile while we are left stupefied by the complete randomness of her confessing a love of dairy products and cold cuts.  


Huh?  You love cheese?  Roast beef...what?  They all will laugh while and revel in our confusion while presenting Riley with the "Random Child" super-suit she just earned.  We will be left wondering if Bill Cosby was right about all children having brain damage.

Yes friends...your child can be random, too.  It's tiring at times, take it from me.  Get familiar with this brilliant rebuttal..."Huh." 

No comments:

Post a Comment