Wednesday, November 17, 2010

As a father...

I always want these posts to be funny but sometimes it is just not there.  Blank mind, no jokes or humorous stories.  Sometimes, I got nothing.  Today is one of those days.  Parents with multiple children will get gut checked every so often.  Today is that day for me.

As a father, I love my children.  I love all of my children.  We are a blended family.  It is a case of mine, hers, and ours.  Hannah is the oldest.  She lives with her mother in California and is here every summer, with some other random days in between.  Cooper is my step-daughter, although I rarely, if ever anymore, identify her as such.  Riley is our newest addition.

As a father, I know that with multiple children there will be a natural competition for attention.  I grew up the oldest of four kids.  I know it happens.  One child will at some point think that a parent loves one child more than another, or spends more time with another, especially with a baby in the house.  We went through a short period where Cooper thought we liked Riley more than her.  She saw us spending so much time taking care of her, but did not understand the necessity.  The solution to that, I think, was to have her help us so she was included.  Disaster averted and problem solved.

As a father, I know it is delicate balance, especially when all three girls are together.  Each of my daughters are different.  They have different personalities, different likes and dislikes, and different needs.  It is a juggling act, to be sure.  Hannah wants to watch Zach and Cody, and Cooper wants to watch Hannah Montana.  Hannah wants to play Wii Sports, Cooper wants to play Wii Music.  That is only the beginning.  Wait until Riley is old enough to vocally state her wants and likes.

So today I feel like a complete failure, as a father.  Here's where it gets depressing so stop reading if you want to stay happy. 

Cooper told someone recently that she wished I called her a princess like her uncle calls her cousin, and wished I treated her the same as Hannah.  Told you.  You can stop reading now.  How could I be so stupid?  How could I allow such a thing to happen?  How could one of my children think I loved her less than the others?  Gut wrenching to say the least.

I love my girls.  Should anyone dispute that I will gladly meet for a conversation.  I would do anything for any one of them.  Disrespect my children, we will discuss it.  Hurt my children, that's your ass.  I would die for them.  The "them" equals Hannah, Cooper, and Riley.

Becoming a father is easy.  Being a father is hard.  Being a good father...well, I'm still learning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment