Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Friend, or Parent?

"Children nowadays are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food and tyrannise their teachers." -Socrates.

So I went to bed and realized quickly that I would not be going to sleep anytime soon.  I tried to get comfortable, rolled over and closed my eyes.  Then, they popped open.  Instead of continually turning over and waking up my exhausted wife, I got up.  So here I am again, typing.  Let's see what comes out.

Well, obviously some things don't change.  Funny how even then children were seen as tyrants.  Now, I am a parent that loves his children.  But, there have been times when I thought my children were attempting to overthrow this house.  Hannah and Cooper have attempted to run wild a time of two, (or three of four) and I can only imagine what it will be when Riley is added to the mix.  If my wife and I are to overthrow the coups attempts, we need to act now.  There will be three girls attempting to take over the house some time soon.

I can imagine it.  Months of planning will go into it.  They will all have their complaints.  Riley will be the most hostile because we will be strictest on her.  Well, daddy will be because I will have hopefully learned from my mistakes from the other two.  But, I can imagine them huddled around a flashlight in the dark of the night wearing their matching pajamas Ashley will have probably bought them.  That's how she rolls.  Every year, there is matching pajamas for the girls.  Except for the purpose of the meeting, it would look very cute.  To tell the truth, they are already working towards it, just independently.  Once they learn to pool their resources, we are in trouble.  

Anyway,  here is the not-so-funny part of this blog thing.  It is sad how some children act today.  I hope my children will not be that way.  I hope they will not be "tyrants" like some others.  In my profession I have to be many things.  I have to be a law enforcer, counselor, problem solver, and at times, friend.  It is amazing though how often the police are called to deal with "juvenile issues."  I have had more than my share of calls where parents have asked me to fix a problem it took them fifteen years to create.

I have watched children disrespect their parents, call them names, and even curse them.  Do you know what would have happened if I ever cursed my parents?  I can honestly tell you...I would likely have been unconscious for several minutes due to the smack in the head.

Several months ago I responded to a call where a mother did not know what else to do but call the police.  So, I show up and get the story.  She tells me that her 16 year old son is out of control, disrespectful, and gets drunk.  I show up and get face to face with a little thug wanna-be.  he ended every sentence with "yo."  I asked him for his name and his response was "Why do you need it, yo?"

So already, I know where this is going.  At that age, had I been contacted by a 6'4, 230 pound cop, in my home...I would have had to change my pants.  Of course, I had respect for adults, my parents, law enforcement, and the mail man.  This little clown had no respect for anyone.  I talked with mom about several issues, including how she and her husband disciplined the turd.  What they told me was a common tale, unfortunately.  Basically, they wanted to be his friends, and not his parents.  Sad, really.  There was no discipline.  He was allowed to do what he wanted and now, they are surprised at how he acts.

I can assure you of one thing.  My children receive discipline.  My children receive structure.  I am not their friend, but their father.  If they misbehave, they will be corrected.  It they do well, they will know that, too.  But my children will not be tyrants who contradict us.  My wife and I will raise our kids, not the school teachers or cops.  Well, technically by one cop.  Hopefully, this will head off any coups attempts for a while.  Well, at least until they put me in the old-folks home, which they will likely do if my wife doesn't put me there first.   
     

No comments:

Post a Comment