Friday, November 26, 2010

It Is Madness

Black Friday.  Wow, it starts earlier every year.  And this year, it started on Thursday.  That is insane.  Last night I went to work and went through my shift as normal.  Then around midnight I saw the traffic patterns changing.  Wal-Mart became the all important destination.  

I drove by and looked in the parking lot, as I did not want to chance getting stuck in the viper's pit, even in a marked patrol unit.  I was scared, I admit it.  I saw people everywhere.  I though to myself, how ridiculous.  Why would people go and sit in line, in some places in sub-20 degree weather, for some toys/electronics/whatever it is they wanted.  Here's a tip for other parents.  For those of you who are first time parents, keep this simple truth in mind.  Ready...toddlers could care less what is in the box.  Just give them the box.  It would be the greatest gift on earth.  Hours of fun I tell you.

I am not really dogging on anyone who waited in lines at 1:30 am.  I understand there are some good deals on all the holiday wish list items, and hey, the kids are asleep so it is a great time to sneak around and buy stuff.  

As I said, I went to work, and got off shift at 4am.  I had a "honey-do" to complete, and that was to go to Wal-Mart to get milk, water and something for breakfast.  Again, I was scared.  I saw the traffic, I saw the people.  I just knew there would be madness inside.  I pulled up to the store and parked in the South 40.  And I just sat there...contemplating.  Should I or shouldn't I?  Do I risk it inside, or risk getting in trouble at home?  

Needless to say, as any married man knows...I went inside, although reluctantly.  I had already heard the stories about fights in the center of the store.  I was in uniform and knew I was safe, but still apprehensive.  The store at first looked empty.  That could not be.  I saw the madness in the parking lot.  Then I turned the corner of the first aisle and saw people in LAWN CHAIRS sitting in the aisles.  So I stood there watching, and wondering, what the heck they were doing.  They were waiting for the next set of deals to start.  I was on the grocery side and these people were sitting in lawn chairs down the grocery aisles....on the opposite side of the store from where they wanted to be.  The funny part was that they looked at me like I was insane.  

So I had just got off of work, went to get a couple of grocery items (at 4 am).  I was the crazy one?  No sir.  No indeed.

Again, I don't think they were nutso or anything.  I just wonder, why?  Why sit for hours in a lawn chair in the aisle of Wal-Mart?  What is so important?  I don't know.  I know plenty of intelligent people who were out in the bedlam that is Black Friday.  I saw the traffic going to Lubbock at 2am.  I talked to the "soon to be waiting in line for hours" shoppers.  They were excited.  They were psyching themselves up while chugging old, gas station coffee.  Well, they had the old coffee because other officers and I drank all the fresh stuff.  Ha Ha Ha Ha........

Sorry, that was mean, but still a little funny.  Anyway, to all of you out there engaged in the shopping insanity, be good please.  No fist fights over the newest Elmo toy.  No body slams to get the Nintendo DS.  No knees to the groin to steal the flat screen the old man is holding.  Everyone stay calm.

While all of this is going on, I will be fast asleep, safe and cozy in my bed.  Enjoy your shopping folks.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment