Thursday, November 18, 2010

Daddy's helper

It's funny how children always want to help.  I can be cooking, sometimes cleaning, or getting Riley dressed.  Cooper will want to help.  There are sometimes when it is not safe to let her help, like when I'm cooking certain things.  I mean, I don't want her to get a grease burn or anything from popping oil when I'm stirring jambalaya.  But there other times when I want or need the assistance.

Take this morning for example.  Cooper was awake and in her room.  Yes, the bed head was in full effect.  I went to Riley's room and got her up. Immediately I know a couple of things.  First, she will be wet and quite possibly dirty.  I think she weighed an extra few ounces when I picked her up.  Second, Cooper will be in shortly to assist.

So I put Riley on her changing table and in walks "the hair."  Riley is still waking up and Cooper wants to play.  She starts looking in the dresser drawers for Riley's attire while I change the diaper.

I open the diaper...to a doo doo diaper.  Cooper doesn't see it as she is busy coordinating her sister's wardrobe so I ask her to come help me.  I ask her to take the doo doo diaper to the trash because let's face it...I didn't want to.  When my siblings were younger, I had to throw away the doo doo, so why shoudn't my kids.  With the most serious face she can make she pauses...looks at the diaper, then looks at me in the eye...and says, "I'm outta here."

She did not smile nor make a joke, but I had to laugh.  I think it was the seriousness with which she made her refusal.  Seconds earlier she was talking to Riley and laughing.  Then, you would think I had just broken her favorite toy.  She gave me a "oh no you didn't" look, like she could not believe I had just said that.

It must be nice to be able to be selective about what you help with.  So, I finished changing the diaper and threw it away myself.  The I realized, I was bested by a 5 year old because she looked cute and funny.          

No comments:

Post a Comment