Friday, November 19, 2010

A Sad Day Indeed...

"In valor there is hope." - Tacitus


Today I went to a funeral for someone I didn't even know.  I have already been asked, if I did not know him then why did I go?  It is very simple.  He would have gone if the situation was reversed.  


It is not about knowing him.  He was a brother in blue.  No matter what department, or color of the uniform, we are members of a unique brotherhood and profession that I have the highest respect for.  This job that we do can be one of the most exciting yet terrifying, funny yet saddening, gratifying yet demanding callings there is.


In this job we see the best, and the worst, in society.  We deal with liars, dealers, and abusers, as well as those who cheat on, steal from, and beat on others.  But we also see the Good Samaritans from time to time.  We see someone wave at us while directing traffic and offer a bottle of water.  We see those who go out of their way to assist another motorist for no reason other than to help.  We also see the coming together of a brotherhood in times of loss and tragedy no matter who you work for, of where you work.


Yes, we are members of a unique brotherhood.  We take care of our own.  Trooper McDonald died in the service of his community.  Someone called, and he went...no questions asked.  He was committed to doing his job as well as he could.  That commitment deserves respect and gratitude.  Thank you for your service, sir.


Everyday law enforcement officers respond to calls for service, even at risk to themselves.  If you know some of these folks...give them a hug, or a kind word.  We may not always smile or be excited due to the day we may have had, but we will be grateful.


I don't usually write stuff like this, but I guess I felt I needed to.  It is a sad day because we buried a brother.  Everyone be safe...   

No comments:

Post a Comment