Monday, July 25, 2011

It looks like trouble to me...

Yep, trouble it is.  My daughters will be the death of me.  I joke, but with a level of seriousness about it.  Here is why I say that.  For all the dads with daughters, you will know what I mean...take a look with me won't you:
It is a sight moms think is cute, and dads well, don't.  It has already started at my house and one of my daughters is still in diapers.  Take a close look at this photo.  They are all in the bathroom getting dressed...together!  It is like a preview into their teenage years, as Ashley put it.  It's like a preview into our future Friday nights.  Not good.

Hannah is straightening her hair.  Cooper is brushing her teeth.  Riley is, well, doing something.  They are all getting dolled up for church.  It won't be so cute in a few years.  It will be chaos and fighting.  Let me tell you...there will be anger and jealousy friends.

You say, "No, look how adorable they are all getting dressed together in the bathroom.  How cute."  It is, until I picture the future.  Take a look with me...

Hannah will be about eighteen or so and somewhere in the neighborhood of about 5'10" tall.  Cooper will be fifteen and, well, not that tall.  Riley will be about ten years old and probably about as tall as Hannah.  In the same bathroom they will be standing in the same places.  Hannah will be straightening her hair in front of the mirror, Cooper will be brushing her teeth, and Riley will be doing...something.  The chaos will ensue.

Cooper will complain that Hannah is hogging the mirror.  Hannah will gripe that Riley keeps asking for her to straighten her hair, too.  Riley will scream when Hannah won't fulfill her wish.  Riley will push Hannah causing her to burn her hand with the straightener.  Cooper will laugh at Hannah because she thinks it is pay back for hogging the mirror for the last half-hour.  Hannah will threaten Cooper with leaving her behind and never driving her anywhere again as long as they live.  On a side note, that will pose a problem for Ashley and I since we intend to have Hannah relieve us of our taxi driver duties each Friday night while they are in high school.

What are Ashley and I doing you ask?  During all of this I will sit on the couch holding my cup of coffee and stare into the hallway fully expecting a to see a child flung into the air and across the hall.  My guess would be Cooper, because hey, she will be the shortest of them all.  I will ask Ashley, being female, to help them.  Of course by then she will have lost patience for their foolishness and will inform me that, "Those are your children," and I should handle it.  I will sit back and let it all happen and continue to sip on my coffee.  Should one of them be thrown out, oh well...less damage in the bathroom from the brawl. 

Anyway, from the bathroom will come the sounds of our typical Friday nights.  Let me continue.  Hannah will get mad at Cooper for laughing at her and attempt to push her from the bathroom.  Riley will get mad at them both and quickly run and, being the "informer," tell on them for fighting.  Cooper will retort with something about reading Hannah's diary and threaten to spill all of her secrets to everyone at school.  Hannah will them threaten to tell us about something Cooper said or did at school earlier in the day.  It will be an eventful and busy night.

Well, the bathroom battle will eventually end and the girls will leave for their dates.  All that is, except for Riley.  Yes, Riley will be heartbroken that she is again left behind to spend an exciting evening with her parents playing Scrabble or something.  By then I will be old and that is a game for old people isn't it?  She will be jealous and begin to ask such silly questions like, "When can I go on a date?"  Her father, exhausted from listening to them fight over a spot in front of the mirror, will tell her that she can go on a date after she moves out of the house.  Riley will reply by promptly running to her room and pack her suitcase.  She will then sit by the door and demand we take her to move in with Lolly and Pops (Ashley's parents).  I will be momentarily motivated to get out of my seat and do just that, then decide not to because I don't want to drive that far.

Yes friends, it will be eventful.  Actually, it will be funny and stressful all at the same time.  Yes they are cute now, and of course they will be in the future.  But, I don't think I can take all of the cuteness with them all in the bathroom together.  That is trouble.    

No comments:

Post a Comment