Thursday, July 7, 2011

Another tooth story

I was asleep the other morning in a comfortable bed.  Then, I felt it.  I always know when someone is staring at me.  Like most everyone else, I can just feel it when someone is staring at me, face to face.  I am awoken by the sight of Cooper with her face directly in front of mine as she proudly shows off the big ole gap in her grill.

Yep, Cooper lost one of her front teeth.  She was proud that her mother assisted her by yanking out the tooth that she has been moving back and forth, back and forth, back and forth...for days.  Cooper would walk up and proudly and energetically say, "Look!"  So what did I do?  I looked.  There she was, pulling on that snaggle-tooth trying to get it out.  Then it finally happened.

So, as I said, she was face to face with me and I opened my eyes to the sight of her tongue sticking out through the gap in the middle of her smile.  I will not lie, I was startled at first.  I wasn't expecting to see that I must say.  After I processed for a minute, I said something infinitely intelligent like, "Good," and drifted back to sleep with the image burned into my mind.

So, later Cooper was so proud that she showed everyone, and then turned her attention to the possibilities.  Yes, the possibilities of what the Tooth Fairy will deliver.  I'm sure she was hoping for a paper Abe Lincoln.  I think she just wanted cash money, to be honest, no matter what it was.

But this time, the Tooth Fairy was crafty.  She did not provide cash that would burn a hole in Cooper's pocket until she got to spend it on something useless.  No, she provided a craft.  Cooper got a box she could paint and decorate however she wanted.  The box was to hold some little small trinkets, and she was so proud.  I have yet to see the outcome of the project, but I have to give props to the Tooth Fairy.  Good call.  Don't let her get used to cash.  Make her work instead.  Awesome.

So, here is what I saw when Cooper stared at me long enough to wake me up...

You can barely see it, but there is a gap in that very excited grill of hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment