Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas light adventures

Tonight we ventured out on our annual Christmas light sight-seeing tour with some dear friends.  We got together and showed the kids the lights around Lubbock, because lets face it, there is not much around Levelland.  This year went much the same as last year...with a few exceptions. 

We had a great time.  We piled into a Suburban and hit the streets.  First stop...the enormous line of cars at Chick-Fil-A.  Yes folks, it was about 630pm.  That is right at the heart of dinner time.  We arrive in time to pull into the rear of the line behind a string of cars that wrapped around the building. I said that right, around the building.  Chris and I were less that thrilled with the wait.  I am not that patient.  But, we sat because our wives and kids were in the car.  Three words...Keep The Peace.

Anyway, the wait was rather short considering the number of families feasting on chicken nuggets and waffle fries.  We got our fare and again, went on our way.  We ate and looked at lights around Lubbock.  Then we go to...Starbucks.  Ahhh yes.  We always find our way to a Starbucks to get something hot to sip on as we gaze upon the twinkling decorations.  Even the kids get in on some Starbucks.

Oh my friends, Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha.  It should be illegal.  I waited for Chris to order his first so all I had to say was, "I'll have the same."  It is embarrassing to order, but oh so good.  I used to have a Caramel Apple Cider, but no more.  I have been ruined by the peppermint and white chocolate goodness.

So, we finish our trip as the kids are falling asleep one by one, and enjoy grown-up conversation.  This is important for parents because it helps maintain sanity.  It helps to talk to someone and enjoy a conversation where I don't have to worry about hearing of some child's boo boo, which child ate all the glue at school, or try to decipher baby babble.  Don't get me wrong, I love it when Riley babbles at me trying to call me "MaMa."  But sometimes, I, like other parents, need to talk to other adults.  

So we complete our trek "in town" and head back to Levelland.  Sounds like a pleasant evening right?  A great time was had by most.  Riley was tired and cranky so she wasn't as thrilled.  But, let me recount for you the adventure that was last year's outing.  These nights are not always so pleasant.

Last year Hannah was here and Ashley was still pregnant with Riley.  We still had our Yukon so there was room for us all in there, even though every seat had a behind in it.  Luckily, Chris and I were in the front seats.  We had plenty of room, unlike everyone else packed into the rear seats.  So we pile in the Yukon and head out.  We had dinner and Starbucks, then hit the streets to see everyone's best light shows. 

As I said, Chris and I were in the front seats.  Ashley and Liz were in the middle row with Cason.  Cooper and Hannah were in the rear seat.  We all had our respective hot beverages.  Again Chris and I had our Peppermint White Chocolate Mochas.  Every time I think about it I want to go get one, but I don't want to go back to town.  Anyway, Ashley and Liz had something.  Ashley probably had a Chai of some type.  Hannah and Cooper had hot chocolate.  Here is where our story gets fun.

We decide to go to Ransom Canyon to look at the lights.  I had heard the residents there really go all out and decorate their homes very nicely.  I have to agree because everything looked great.  For those who have never been there, it is the most curved roads in the county.  That area has the curviest (is that a word?) roads on the Caprock.  They are not as bad as the mountains of Central California, but close enough for West Texas.  Parents, you may know where I am going.

So we are gazing at the lights.  It is cold outside and starts to rain a little on us, which due to the temperature is more like snow.  Everything looks great and everyone is having a good time.  All is well until I hear one of my children say, "Daddy, I'm gonna be....."  

Let me stop you.  If you have a weak stomach, skip over the next several paragraphs.  This statement was not stopped because she forgot what she was going to say or because she changed her mind.  The statement was stopped because of the vomiting that ensued.  Yes, Hannah got car sick.  I warned you to skip ahead.

I will spare the gross details.  However, I will tell of the comedy.  Hannah vomits from the back row.  Ashley, Liz, and Cason are in front of her.  Two words friends...projectile vomit.  It is a wonderful thing.  Nothing clears a car faster.  Adults are jumping from the car into the cold, freezing rain with no coats on.  People are yelling "Eeeewwwwwwwwwwww."  Cooper is freaking out and crying because everyone left her with the vomiting child.  She is screaming at the top of her lungs.  Only children remain in the car because they are buckled in, and hey, they can't get out.

I figured those who are exposed to the car crashes, emergency rooms, and all manner of gross would be okay with a little vomit.  Not so much.  So who comes to the rescue?  The nurse?  No.  The paramedic/firefighter/cop?  Wrong.  No, it is daddy who flies in and saves the day, sort of.  I snatch Hannah from the car and we run into the field.  Again, no coat on.  Hannah is puking on me while I stand over her making sure she is okay.  Ashley tends to Cooper and calms her down.  When asked why she was crying, she retorts, "Hannah threw up on me."  The look on her face was good though.  It was one of confusion because her parents would ask such a stupid question.  Even she knew that was dumb to say. 

We are all cold, wet, and stinky.  I use whatever I can find to clean up the vomit and hot chocolate from the back seats so people can get back in the car.  I brave the stench and mess and get stuff sort of situated.  Everyone gets back in and of course, the car smells.  I put Hannah in the front seat so I can shove her out the door if she starts to get sick again.  Not really, but I wanted her to be able to get out fast without climbing over other people.  I have the windows cracked a bit to ventilate with the clean, fresh smelling, outside air.  We drive from Ransom Canyon back to Wolfforth with all four adults with their faces pressed against the windows to breath fresh air.  Ever seen a betta fish come to the surface to breath.  Short quick breaths at the surface with wide open mouths.  Ok, all of us are basically doing that at the crack in the windows.  Were it not for the rain/snow mix, I would have just rolled my window down and drove home with my head hanging out like a dog.

We make it home.  The excitement and fun of the evening turned to odors and grossness.  four adults who had been so excited to hang out and look at lights with the kids are now wet, cold, and smelly.  The kids are tired and not feeling great themselves.  Hannah felt bad, and thought she ruined the evening.  I reassured her that it was okay, and that used to happen to daddy, too.  She comes by it honestly. 

In truth, nights like these are for making memories.  Regardless of the circumstances, we made good memories.  Our families hang out together and we will remember these times.  Our children will talk like my siblings and I do..."Remember that time when..."

Last year it wasn't as funny as it is today.  And, tonight went much better.  No car sickness, just a tired baby who let us know she was ready to go home.  The kids did great and the adults, well, we drank our coffee, visited, and enjoyed the company of family.   

No comments:

Post a Comment