Thursday, August 11, 2011

Fort Scifres

A quick one this morning. 

Occasionally my daughters believe themselves to be architects.  They, from time to time, construct playhouses and things of that sort using only what is immediately available to them in the living room, dining room, and hallway.  I would be interested to see what they erect using my tools from the garage.  If they had access to a hammer, nails, and a few 2x4s, I would come home to a skyscraper in the back yard.  Anyone who watches "Phineas and Ferb" knows what I mean.

Recently I get a text message with this photograph of what Ashley called, "Fort Scifres."
It is not the greatest photo because it was taken with a cell phone camera, but you get the idea.  Hannah and Cooper used the dining room chairs as walls/support beams, and covered their structure with the blankets from a basket in the hallway.  Cooper wanted a light, so she took the lamp from her room.  I am told there was also food hidden away for a midnight snack, you know, in case one of them got the munchies in the wee hours of the morning.

I got the message in the evening hours, around their normal bed time.  I thought it was nice and forgot about it.  I thought it would not be there when I got home, because I just KNEW Ashley would have them deconstruct that monstrosity that took up every inch of space between the couch and entertainment center.

So I tiredly arrive at my abode after work and expected to walk in and find everything as normal.  No.  I walk in to Fort Scifres inside the house.  I smile, laugh a little, and walk into the bedroom.  I was so amused, and at the same time tired, that I missed one large detail.  While walking back and forth from the kitchen to my bedroom I totally was oblivious to the fact that my sweet children were ASLEEP ON THE WOOD FLOOR of their fort.  Yes, technically there was a rug between the floor and them, but hey, they were still sleeping on the floor. 

When I finally realized it, I thought to myself that I was glad they were young because if that were me my back would be killing me.  And, I would look completely ridiculous sleeping under the pink blankets, between my dining room chairs, on the floor, and with my feet hanging out the end.  That would have been a photo op my wife would have taken full advantage of and plastered all over Facebook.

Oh, and the snacks they had hidden...still there in the morning.  They apparently had to be thrown away because they should have been refrigerated or something.  I just know that they were not edible anymore.

The daddy part of me is proud of them for their construction prowess and ingenuity, coupled with the fact they did not fight each other to the death given the proximity between them for eight hours.  The kid in me was totally jealous because I want to build a fort, too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment