Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Another music story...

Last summer I posted about the difference in my taste in music as compared to that of my children.  They liked the Camp Rock stuff, and I, well...did not.  Since that time Riley Grace has started to develop her taste in music which I have attempted to influence.  I have tried to introduce "daddy's music" to her but hold on for the big surprise...it has yet to work.

So since this summer Riley had been singing along with Hannah and Cooper.  Well, she tried to and usually only sang every third or fourth word.  More recently she has gotten a little better and I can at least now I can understand what she said.

When one thinks of toddler songs, things like "Happy Birthday," "Itsy Bitsy Spider," and such come to mind.  One song I would not think of is "Call Me Maybe."  Yes, Riley has been aping Cooper and learned that song.  Usually they are performing a dance or cheer routine to go along with the song and bouncing or jumping around the living room.

Tonight Riley was sitting on the floor playing with her over-sized building blocks all by her lonesome.  She was singing something and after a few minutes I clued in to what she was singing.  I thought it sounded familiar and then it hit me...that's right, "Call Me Maybe."  She was only getting one in five words correct, but it was obvious what she was singing.  It was disturbing to me though that I actually know the words to the song and could recognize Riley's incorrectly worded rendition of the pop music nightmare was in fact that song.  But, then again I should not be surprised given the fact I reside in a house loaded with females who love boy bands, Disney music, and pop music nightmares.

Riley Grace was my last hope.  So far she has resisted the indoctrination and has already started to show signs of rebellion.  Riley is following in the footsteps of her sisters and rejecting daddy's musical choices and accepting the Disney pop music machine.  Sad, really.  I am apparently failing in my fatherly duties.  Well, at least Riley has yet to start singing any of that backstreet-kids-who-are-in-sync garbage.  Sorry, all boy bands are alike right?  There may be hope after all..? 

No comments:

Post a Comment