Thursday, September 8, 2011

More lessons for those children of mine...

So I have been thinking about more advice, and/or lessons for my girls.  I have been thinking back to my own childhood and about the lessons I learned the hard way.  Actually, some I watched others learn through some pain and injury while I laughed.  So here we go...  

21.  When riding a bicycle always look forward.  This one seems like a no brainer, right?  I watched as a little boy I knew rammed into a sign while riding his bicycle and trying to look cool.  There he was riding his bike laughing at me as I drove my car down the street.  He was paying attention to me instead of the large pole and street sign in front of him.  Three, two, one...and contact.  Over the handle bars to the ground he went.  He popped up and I got a laugh.  Ask Uncle Mike to explain the rest.

22.  Here is one from me.  When climbing trees, don't go too high because the smaller branches won't support the weight.  I was an avid tree climber back in the day and on one occasion I attempted to conquer the wrong tree.  After reaching near the top I suddenly found myself dropping, bouncing, falling, scratching, crying, gasping, and finally landing on the ground with a thud.  I popped up while my friends got a laugh.

23.  When riding on the back of a motorcycle do not smile.  Actually, don't even open your mouth.  Keep your mouth closed, unless of course you would like to dine on the delicacies that are mosquitoes, flies, butterflies, or some other bug or insect.  No they do not taste good.  If you see someone that just got off of a motorcycle and you see what looks like a raisin on his teeth let me warn you, its a dead bug.  Gross.
 
24.  Always check to see if the sliding glass door is OPEN before attempting to run outside.  Luckily for you all we do not have such a door on this house.  When I was about 8 years old I was at a friend's house for a birthday party.  They had a sliding glass door.  I was inside and wanted to hurriedly go outside.  Without looking I darted at a full sprint from the dining room towards the backyard when I met the clear, freshly cleaned glass door face first.  Ouch.  Yes there was physical pain, but the embarrassment was far worse.  I popped up and yes, people got a laugh.

25.  And finally, when you are my age (36 years old) do not...and I repeat DO NOT run in a house wearing only socks when the floors are wood.  Only disaster awaits.  I ran from the kitchen towards the bedroom to answer a phone call.  I rounded the couch and slid for about half of a second before my feet and body went different directions.  My feet left me behind and then I fell on my behind...hard.  You know, getting up after a fall like that is not as easy to do as it was when I was younger.  I didn't pop up from that one and I missed the phone call.  The only good part was that there was no one there to get a laugh.

Listen to my words oh children of mine.  I can spare you pain and embarrassment if you simply learn from my mistakes...and the one from Uncle Mike because that one was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment