Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Those Scifres girls

Much has happened since I wrote on here the last time.  Riley is now too cool for words.  She knows more sign language than I do, is walking, and trying to talk.  Most of it is just babble, but there are a few words mixed in.  She sports pink sunglasses better than anyone I know and loves to be photographed in them.  Yes, I am so proud.

Cooper is a kindergarten graduate and is apparently planning to start high school in the fall.  She already has the attitude down.  Now, just needs to learn to read and drive and she is all set.

Hannah is now to the stage of her life that I as a father have been dreading.  She is on the verge of puberty.  Oh boy.  Actually, it is oh boys.  Yep, she is starting to take notice of the other gender I think.  Boys are no longer gross with cooties and she is into Justin Beiber, or how ever you spell that kid's name.

And so goes my adventure in fatherhood.  My girls are growing up way too fast.  Cooper already is becoming our little performer.  Last weekend she was using her great-grandfather's walking cane as a microphone while offering up her version of the Beiber classic, "Baby."  My response?  I said, "Cooper I love you but you and Justin Beiber are about to drive me up the wall."  She stopped for a few minutes.

Hannah is that way too.  She uses a guitar though.  Notice I did not say "plays."  The random strumming on an out of tune toy guitar does not exactly qualify as playing a guitar.  Hannah usually is Cooper's accompany...accompaner...uh, gal who plays the guitar.  Those who watched "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" got that. 

Riley likes to bang on things so I suppose she will be the drummer.  Before I know it Hannah, Cooper, and Riley will be rehearsing their set list to sing to Ashley and I that will most certainly include covers of some Beiber songs, mixed in with a little Selena Gomez or Miley Cyrus and something called "Lemonade Mouth."

Am I ready for all of this?  My girls trying to be rock stars?  My girls following boys?  Boys calling for my girls?  No.  I am not.  I will most decidedly not get a land line to keep them from calling.  I mean, what boy in his right mind will even consider calling my cell phone and with a cracking pre-pubescent voice ask, "Is Hannah there?"  Yep, no land lines for this house.  Of course it is only a futile attempt to stop what I know I can't stop.  But hey, a dad has to try, right?

Yes friends, my girls are growing up.  Riley will be talking soon.  Cooper will be performing on stage somewhere (check your local listings for upcoming dates and cities), and Hannah will be telling me how much she likes some kid in her class named "Chip" and how cool he is.

I'm gonna need a lot of help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment